Current Students

Incoming Exchange & Visiting Students

Incoming Exchange & Visiting Students


The Faculty of Arts is welcoming a growing number of international exchange and visiting students, who study at HKU for a semester or an academic year. Exchange and visiting students are encouraged to contact the Faculty Office with any questions regarding their studies in the Arts Faculty.

1.     Online Course Selection

The courses shown on your admission letter only indicates you are eligible for the course. Students are still required to select their courses through the course selection system. Please read through the information about course enrollmment in the following link in order to enroll for courses:

You are advised to bring along an original copy of your latest official transcript in case it is required to facilitate your course selection at HKU.  

2.     Report to Global Affairs Office (formerly known as Office of International Student Exchange) and apply for student card

We would recommend you to arrive Hong Kong on the week of August 22. Please visit our office to pick up important information, apply for student card and to meet your fellow classmates!

Global Affairs Office (Global Lounge, G/F Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre)

Please fill in the attached application form for student card and prepare a passport photo and a copy of your passport/student visa/HKID. The 10-digit University No. starting with 3035 will be provided to you along with the portal account details in mid-August. If you do not have a contact number in HK, you can leave this blank. The form can be submitted to our office according to the following schedule. In case you are not available for your timeslot, you are still welcome to register at other timeslots.



Country of home university

Aug 22-26

(Mon – Fri)


Australia, New Zealand and Asia


UK and Europe


Canada and USA


All other regions

After Aug 29

Please report to Global Affairs Office during office hours

3.       Health and Insurance

4.       Orientation Events

5.       Sports

  • Please refer to the website of  “Institute of Human Performance (IHP)” about the sport activities and faculties available at HKU.
  •  HKU has 3 sports center and also one gym room on campus. You can easily enjoy your sports time with others.
  •  For the gym, please note you will need to apply for a HKU gym card before you can use the faculties. If you have your own gym card issued by any sports institution or home school, please bring them over so that you could be exempted from the gym training class before getting a HKU gym card.

6.       HKID card

  • You need to apply for a HKID card if your length of stay in HK is more than 180 days. The application procedure can be found on the homepage of the Hong Kong Immigration Department homepage at

7.       Octopus Card

  • It is a store value smart card that is commonly used in HK for transportation, convenient shops or even university applications. Smart and useful!
  •  Please check with the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) and your Faculty Office if you are eligible for a student octopus card to enjoy the discounts on transportation.

8.       Other useful information

Useful Links