Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2010/11
- The Faculty of Arts of the University of Hong Kong would like to invite both local and non-local students from all over the world to apply for admission to our full-time PhD programme via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
- The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009 and aims at attracting outstanding students from all parts of the world to pursue full-time PhD studies in Hong Kong's institutions. The Fellowship provides a monthly stipend of HK$20,000(1) and annual conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$10,000(1) for the awardees for a maximum period of three years(2). 135 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in 2010/11 to all institutions in Hong Kong.
- Applications should be made through the On-line Application System from now until December 1, 2009. Applicants can choose up to two programmes in one or two institutions for PhD studies in the On-line Application System and they do not have to submit applications for admissions to the two institutions separately. Please visit www.rgc.edu.hk/hkphd for details.
- The RGC will set up two Selection Panels with experts in the broad areas, one for science, medicine, engineering and technology and another one for humanities, social science and business studies, to consider the nominations submitted by institutions. The Selection Panels will mainly take into account the four yardsticks below for the selection of candidates:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication, and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
- The Faculty of Arts strongly recommends ALL PhD applicants to apply for the Fellowship. Applicants who are not selected for the Fellowship will still be considered for admission with the postgraduate studentship, which is currently valued at HK$13,100 per month and those who are admitted to our full-time PhD programme will also be eligible to receive up to two conference/travel grants with a maximum value of HK$13,500 each during their candidature. The University Postgraduate Fellowship, worth HK$70,000 on top of the postgraduate studentship, will be awarded to selected full-time PhD candidates with excellent academic record.
- For information on the available areas of study for PhD research in the Arts Faculty, please visit http://arts.hku.hk/PGprogrammes/rpg. For information on admission requirements, please visit http://www.hku.hk/gradsch/apply. A leaflet introducing Research Studies at the University of Hong Kong is available here.
(1) US$1 = HK$7.8 (rate for reference only)
(2) Subject to official approval by the University, awardees of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship who are admitted to our 4-year PhD programme can continue to receive the monthly stipend of HK$20,000 and conference travel allowance of HK$10,000 in their 4th year of study.